Monday, January 16, 2012

Andrews Story

So we were working on language lessons last week and Andrew who continues to be my student who works me pretty good was asked to make up a story about 4 kittens. We were studying a painting about 4 kittens and in the painting the 4 kittens were playing with Beatles. When we began to discuss the painting he was slumped down in his chair saying, "I don't want to do this, I am tired, I don't like cats, cats are yucky." The "I am tired" is a funny saying that we hear a whole lot. The "Cats are yucky" is something he has picked up from his Nana because she is allergic to cats. He began to realize he was going to have to complete his assignment before going back to play doh, so he began to tell us his story. "Once upon a time there were these beatles that God was watching so they would not bite anybody. Then four kittens came walking up and the people said, "Get the cats away, they are yucky." So God sent the cats to live with Satan and Satan said, "achoo achoo achoo, forever!" What a funny story that has so much to unpack in it. He has adopted his Nana's dislike towards cats and associates them with allergies and believes they are from the devil. So he sends them to live with Satan and he suffers forever. My favorite is that we were not even talking about God and yet he brought him in to his story. If someone asked me why do you homeschool, I would answer, "because I want my children to not compartmentalize Christ and think that bible is over here and then there's math and science and so on. I struggle this way and I want them to delight in all of his creation and see his Glory in all things and without a doubt know that everything points us to His glory." What a funny guy Andrew is and continues to be for us. As I continue with homeschooling I see how incredibly different my three children are and how I must rely on Christ for his Grace and wisdom to love them and train them according to their individual needs and personalities. Homeschooling has been a joy for me, something I never thought I would say or do. I am so thankful not to miss these moments and to continue to be stretched with patience and sacrifice to make it happen. This is the path Christ has chosen for me and I see my need for Christ everyday as I surrender to this calling and realize how I can't do it alone. What precious children we have been blessed with and I pray that I can be a part of helping them know and understand the love the Father has for them and how amazing the Gospel truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment